Welcome back to another easy vegan recipe!
As you may well know, i’m a tad jackfruit obsessed…here’s another dish i’ve created with the fantastic fruit!
Lately it’s been getting colder in Wellington and my family have been craving cosy comfort dishes. I’ve been working on the recipe for a delicious vegan pie.. and I’m pretty sure I’ve just perfected it. See below for my take on the traditional kiwi ‘steak & cheese pie’ – with a plant based twist of course!
VEGAN JACKFRUIT PIE RECIPE
A plant based take on ‘steak and cheese’. Serves 4-6.
1 x canned young green jackfruit
1 x medium brown onion
1 x pack of pre marinated jackfruit (I used Tender Jacks – Teriyaki Flavour)
If you don’t have access to pre marinated jackfruit this recipe will work with 2 x cans of Young Green Jackfruit that you can flavour yourself. Try soaking your shredded jackfruit in a combo of 1 tsp sesame oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 Tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp paprika and 1/4 tsp cumin prior to making this recipe.
1 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp of vegan butter (I use nuttelex)
2 Tbsp flour
1.2 cups oat milk
2 Tbsp angel food cheese sauce (this could be subbed for nutritional yeast)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/8 cup oat milk
Rosemary as a garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Drain and rinse canned jackfruit. Shred with a fork into small pieces.
- Dice onion and fry in a hot pan until golden brown.
- Add in your shredded jackfruit and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in pre marinated jackfruit, add 1/4 cup of water and mix until all jackfruit is well coloured.
- Season with paprika, cumin and 1/4 cup more water.
- Fry for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat once tender and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by melting vegan butter in a medium sized pan.
- Add in flour, whisking well. Then oat milk, stirring until it thickens.
- Next add 2 Tbsp vegan cheese sauce mix and turmeric and whisking on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the pie dish by brushing with coconut oil or laying with baking paper.
- Mix the cheese sauce throughout jackfruit mix and pack into pie tray.
- Lay the vegan pastry lid on top and scour with a knife.
- Brush with oat milk before baking in the oven for 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Garnish with rosemary and serve with a side of sauteed greens.
I can’t wait to hear what you thought of this dish. Let me know in the comments below or on @eden.vegan