If you’ve been following me on Eden Vegan for a while, you’re probably well aware that jackfruit is one of my favourite ingredients. Young Green Jackfruit is available canned (unless you’re located in South East Asia and can get this vibrant fruit fresh).
Jackfruit is well known as a natural meat substitute, especially in asian cuisine. It is commonly used as a pulled pork alternative. Jackfruit has a slightly sweet taste and a texture somewhat similar to pineapple. When shredded, jackfruit absorbs flavours well making it the perfect ingredient to marinate.
I’ve got many go to recipes using canned jackfruit. Tacos, nachos and dumplings to name a few…however this latest one might just be the tastiest (I know, huge call but bare with me).
“Vegan Butter Jackfruit” is my non traditional take on the dish Butter Chicken.
I can’t wait to see what you all think of this mouth-watering creation. So grab a can of jackfruit and lets get cooking!!
VEGAN BUTTER JACKFRUIT RECIPE
Also known as “Vegan Butter Chicken”. Serves 2.
GARLIC FLAT BREAD
1 1/2 cups Flour
2/3 cup Water
2 tbsp Vegan butter
2 tsp Crushed garlic
1 tsp Chilli flakes
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Dried chilli flakes
2 tbsp Red curry paste
1 tbsp Crushed garlic
1 tbsp Sesame oil
1 tbsp Maple syrup
400grams Young Green Jackfruit
1 small Brown onion
1 tbsp Olive oil
1 cup White rice
1 tbsp Crushed garlic
400ml Coconut cream
400g Crushed tomatoes
2 tsp Coconut sugar
2 tbsp Hot Curry powder
Squeeze Lemon juice
1 tbsp Coconut cream
1/8 cup Peanuts, crushed
- Preheat in a fan bake oven to 100*c and prepare the garlic flatbread by mixing all dough ingredients in a bowl, kneading until elastic.
- Drain the jackfruit, rinsing well. Shred into small pieces with a fork, leaving some larger chunks for a ‘meatier’ texture in the curry.
- Add all marinade ingredients into a small bowl, tossing through the shredded jackfruit. Cover and place in the fridge to soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Thinly slice the onion and sauté in a pan with a dash of olive oil until translucent.
- Add in jackfruit to fry on a high heat, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mix in coconut cream and crushed tomatoes. Add coconut sugar and curry powder, stirring well. Squeeze in half a lemon with a pinch of salt.
- Leave to simmer for 20 minutes on a medium heat.
- While the curry is reducing, begin to roll out the flatbread dough into four small rounds and cook the rice.
- Mix vegan butter with crushed garlic and chilli flakes in a small bowl. Brush onto flatbreads while frying and pop in the oven to stay warm.
- Once the curry is reduced to a thick consistency and is of a nice deep orange colour, it’s ready to serve.
- Plate with a side of rice and folded flatbread. Garnish with a drizzle of coconut cream, spring onion and crushed peanuts. Enjoy!